Hello Society Members,
It’s that time of year, and our Annual Meeting is coming up on May 24th! Please join us on Capitol Hill as we elect a new leadership team and network with delicious food and beverages. We invite all paid members to join us, and here are the details:
- What: Illinois State Society (ISS) Annual Meeting
- When: Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Time: 6 – 8 pm
- Where: American Trucking Association, 430 First Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003
- RSVP: If you have already set-up your membership account, please sign-in here and select events from the dropdown menu. If you need to set-up your membership account, please register for the event here.
- Who: We will also honor the Centennial of America entering the First World War with a presentation by its official historian, Dr. Mitchell Yockelson, on the key role played by Illinois’ soldiers. Please see details below.
A small portion of evening will consist of two business matters. The ISS Board has proposed this leadership team for the 2017 – 2018 Membership Year. Please view their bios here. Members will also be asked to consider adopting these proposed by-laws.
Thank you for your support of Illinois and I look forward to seeing you on May 24th!
Terry T. Campo
Illinois State Society
May’s Speaker Details:
Dr. Mitch Yockelson has been featured in the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times, and he has appeared on 60 Minutes, Fox News, PBS, and the History Channel. Mitch received the Army Historical Foundation’s Distinguished Writing Award and earned his doctorate from the Royal Military College of Science, Cranfield University, in the United Kingdom. He is an investigative archivist at the National Archives and Records Administration, historical adviser to the U.S. World War One Centennial Commission, and former professor of military history at the United States Naval Academy. Mitch also leads World War I battlefield tours for the Smithsonian Journeys and New York Times Journeys, and frequently lectures on military history.
Dr. Yockelson is the author of Forty-Seven Days: How Pershing’s Warriors Came of Age to Defeat the German Army in World War I and Borrowed Soldiers: Americans under British Command, 1918. He has also written biographies of Douglas MacArthur and Ulysses S. Grant.